The Open Source Days Perl 6 Hackathon
- About the Perl 6 Hackathon
- Participation and Registration
- Ideas/Suggestions for social events
About the Perl 6 Hackathon
The Perl 6 Hackathon is organized by the Open Days Conference organizers and Copenhagen Perl Mongers.
The hackathon is and aimed at raising some awareness around Perl 6 and to give people a chance to get some hands-on with Perl 6 assisted by the actual Perl 6 people. In addition, several of the core Perl 6 developers are planning to meet to continue work on the Rakudo Star release.
In addition to the hackathon we are running a short track of Perl talks as part of the OSD conference.
Please see the goals to get an overview of what we plan to achieve.
This is a preliminary schedule...
- Friday 2010-03-05 (ITU)
- Open Source Days (day 1)
- Landing in Copenhagen... (pub meet-up)
- Saturday 2010-03-06 (ITU)
- Open Source Days (day 2)
- Perl 6 Hackathon (day 1, presentations)
- Scrollbar Event at Open Source Days
- Sunday 2010-03-07 (Kvarterhuset)
- Perl 6 Hackathon (day 2)
- Perl 6 Hackathon Wrap-up and goodbyes (pub meet-up)
- Monday 2010-03-08 (Kvarterhuset)
- Perl 6 Core team meet-up (mainly for core contributors, others welcome)
- Tuesday 2010-03-09 (???)
- Perl 6 Core team meet-up, core wrap-up
This is a list of key Rakudo contributors who have confirmed their attendance
- Moritz Lenz (moritz)
- Carl Mäsak (masak)
- Jonathan Worthington (jnthn)
- Martin Berends (mberends)
- Patrick Michaud (Pm)
Participation and Registration
If you want to attend the Perl 6 Hackathon, you have to register for the Open Source Days conference in addition to registering here on this site.
There is of course the overall goal of getting some awareness and hands-on experience with Perl 6. So no matter what you level is on Perl or Perl 6 you are most welcome. Another goal is to contribute to the Perl 6 implementation and prepare for the Rakudo Star release in April 2010.
Some specific tasks for the hackathon and core hacking sessions:
- To get a Rakudo release named "Copenhagen"
- Review existing RT ticket queue for outdated tickets, identify "low hanging fruit"
- Draft Rakudo Star release announcement
- Identify basic module packaging guidelines and protocols
- Review roadmap tasks, make sure things are on track
- Work on "getting started with Rakudo Star" materials
- Identify any modules to be packaged with Rakudo Star
- Write some modules and applications
- Review existing Perl 6 examples (e.g., advent calendar), make sure they work
More information will follow on the participants preparation.
Ideas for social events
- Friday: Landing in Copenhagen... (pub meet-up) or Food, beers and Maemo
- Saturday: Scrollbar Event at Open Source Days (event at ITU, the venue of the hackathon and the conference)
- Sunday: Perl 6 Hackathon Wrap-up and goodbyes (pub meet-up)
Jonas B. Nielsen (jonasbn) jonasbn at cpan dot org
version 8 saved on 25/02/10 19:52 by Patrick Michaud (Pm)