Printing maps for fun and profit
I work at Foxtons - an estate agent covering most of London. One project that we did was to map historic data (and print it out onto A2) so that the business analysts could got a feel for this data. This talk covers the code needed to do this with plenty of pictures along the way.
- Getting and stitching maps (open street map - LWP::Simple + MogileFS)
- Generating KML - getting someone else to do the donkey work (draw polylines in google earth)
- Overlaying KML data (XML::LibXML) lat/lon to pixels on map (inc fudge factor)
- Imlib to put data points / lines / key with transparencies onto th map
- Generating PDFs (PDF::API2) - scale and split large image into separate pages
- Printing PDFs (Cups)
Businesses usage - magazine distribution decisions made from the results.
Some of it hitting a CPAN mirror near you when we get time to package it.